There are a number of things you can do to help prevent fire:
- Keep matches away from children
- Unplug all electrical appliances when not in use
- Empty ashtrays
- Don’t leave cigarette ends burning
- Don’t leave candles unattended
- Don’t leave open fires without a fireguard
- Don’t dry clothes on or near any appliance which might cause a fire
- Close doors
- Don’t overload electric sockets
- Don’t run flexes under or over carpets or rugs
- Don’t leave chip pans, frying pans or grill pans unattended
- Don’t smoke in bed
Remember in the case of a fire you may have to get out of the house quickly, so don’t clutter corridors and escape routes.
For more information, see our Home Fire Safety Leaflet.
Information about the danger of fires in wheelie bins is available here.
Information from our insurers on garden fires is here.